Hi readers! Thanks for popping by today! We’re pleased to welcome back Prima queen and super designer Sharon Laakkonen as a guest on our store blog! She has another kiddo with wedding bells in his future and was inspired by the happy occasion to create this piece of art! Read on and enjoy!
My family is crazy big…which means we always have a lot going on! This year is no exception. My oldest son, Billy, is getting married in June to his sweetheart, Bethany! Our whole family has been busy crafting away for it.
Today’s DIY wedding project is by far one of my favorites yet…because it is FAST and EASY to create! And you can customize it to fit any color scheme or theme. (I might just make another one for my home!) Let’s jump right in!
1. Start with Prima’s new line: Relics & Artifacts. These gorgeous cast pieces are ready for anything you want to throw at them, but you know what? They are absolutely beautiful unaltered too! I chose a few I thought would fit a “love” theme and grabbed the new wood frames to go with them. Then I started to play!
2. Once I narrowed down my Relics & Artifacts choices I grabbed Chalkboard Paint that matched their wedding colors…along with a Color Bloom spray in Gold Foil. I painted two frames with Sea Breeze paint, then sprayed the middle frame sparkling, brilliant GOLD! (I’m obviously smitten with Gold Foil as you can see by the heavily used bottle!) Dry all frames. (I only used one coat of paint on the frames as the chalkboard paint is quite thick.)
3. Now comes the FUN part! I chose a few Prima embellies that matched everything beautifully:
one pack of Isabella Roses (Nicia-581688)
Memory Hardware Glass Pearls (just pick out the gold ones! 990398)
a Bloom Girl Thread Word (LOVE-980474)
and the luxurious Memory Hardware Grande Rosette Trim (990466)
4. Add roses to smallest tray. Set letters on top. If letters do not rest evenly move flowers around. Adhere everything with hot glue.
5. Add a thick layer of gel medium to the inside bottom of the tray. Set the wings on the gel. Brush gel medium on back of heart and set on top of the wings. Pour gold glass pearls in! (Save a handful of to fill in any spots left open.)
6. Cut four pieces of Rosette trim. (Each one will be 5 rosettes long.) Adhere to large tray. Print out a photo (3.5 x 5″) and adhere gently to top of trim.
That’s it! It really is fast once you get going! And you can customize the frames with your favorite Prima embellies making this a really fun project! Just think of the possibilities: hang them to make a mini gallery wall, set on easels for a cute entry display, or give as a adorable wedding favors!
Thank you, SSS, for inviting me to create for you! It is always a huge pleasure!!! ~Sharon Laakkonen